There are two main weather systems in The Balerics, either side of a line bisecting Mallorca northwest to southeast. The western side, including Ibiza and Formentera, is subject to the same weather system as nearby mainland Spain which is only 50 miles away.
• With more than 300 days of sunshine every year, the Balearics are made for sailing
• From March-June and September-October, the dominant Tramuntana winds come from the north
• In the summer, warm breezes dominate the area around Ibiza and southern Mallorca
• Menorca always experiences the western flow from the Gulf Lion
The dominant winds in Mallorca:
• January – February: Usually calm
• March – April: Starting end of March, possibility of storms from the north-west .
• May: Variable and light winds.
• June: Variable and light winds.
• July – August: Sea winds. Mid-August: chance of storms.
• September: Chance of rain. At the end of the month: light and warm winds.
• October: Light winds from the west. You may have some days with stronger wind.
• November/December: In November, light wind and rain. Light wind in December.